Well-Being Zone: Swim Your Way to a Healthier Lifestyle
In the latest advice pack, those who are already keen swimmers and those who are just starting out have been encouraged to think about the following points:
- Wear goggles: Swimming is much easier if you can see where you are going!
- Wear a swimming hat: Protect your hair from pool chemicals and keep it out of your face when swimming
- Breathing: Taking regular breaths helps you keep going for longer
- Use equipment: Using kick boards, paddles, etc - makes sessions more interesting and helps strengthen your arms and legs
- Change strokes: Mixing up strokes uses different muscles and gives a better all round work-out
- Mix up the pace: Don't just swim up and down at one pace - add some fast lengths to make it more beneficial
- Use the pace clock: Check your rest intervals and times you are hitting to compare each session
- Goals: To make exercising more fun, set time or distance goals for each session
Parents and staff are welcome to join KSA's Well-Being Zone, a free online advice centre that offers personalised health and fitness plans as well as the latest well-being tips and advice. Discounts on gym memberships are also available.
Over 18s can access the site at http://kettering.wellbeingzone.co.uk and use KSA1 as the organisation code to get started.