Kettering Science Academy believes that it is of the upmost importance to have good systems for protecting children and safeguarding their welfare. This means that all those who work with children in the Academy must be alert to possible concerns about every student and report these appropriately.
In order to protect our students at Kettering Science Academy, we aim to:
- Create an atmosphere where all our students can feel secure, valued and listened to.
- Recognise signs and symptoms of abuse.
- Respond quickly and effectively to cases of suspected abuse.
Our Academy will support all students by:
- Encouraging self-esteem and self-assertiveness whilst not condoning aggression or bullying.
- Promoting a caring, safe and positive environment within the Academy.
Everyone working with our students should be aware that:
- Their role is to listen and note carefully any observations which could indicate abuse.
- They should not attempt to investigate once the initial concern is raised.
- They should involve the Designated Safeguarding Lead or Deputy Safeguarding Leads immediately.
- If the Designated Safeguarding Lead or Deputy Safeguarding Leads are not available, the Principal should be contacted.
- A disclosure of abuse or harm can be made at anytime (lesson times, break times, after school etc.).
- Before outside agencies are invited into the Academy to work with our students or to carry out work on the premises, staff are required to ensure that all relevant DBS checks and identification has been seen.
If you have a concern that a child is being harmed or at risk of harm or you receive a disclosure (intentionally or unintentionally) you must contact one the following:
- Ms Greaves - Deputy Safeguarding Lead (Vice Principal)
- Mrs Stevens -Deputy Safeguarding Lead (Safeguarding Officer)
- Mr Segalini - Deputy Safeguarding Lead (Principal)
- Mrs Chapman - Deputy Safeguarding Lead
Call the Academy on 01536 532700.
The Brooke Weston Trust policy for safeguarding children is to;
- Protect children from maltreatment;
- Preventing impairment of children’s health or development;
- Ensure that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care; and take action to enable all children to have the best outcomes.
Other Safeguarding Agencies
The Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH)
The MASH can advise on whether a family needs early help or whether they meet the threshold for statutory child protection. Telephone: 0300 126 1000
Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO)
The Designated Officer is accountable to the NSCB and operates independently within Children's Services to help safeguarding children.
Designated Officer Andy Smith - 01604 367862
Designated Officer Christine York - 01604 362633
Out of hours service
Should you need to contact children's Social Care urgently during the evening, at night or at the weekend, phone the out of hours team on 01604 626938. An operator will answer the phone and take details of the problem and your contact details. They will then pass this information over to the duty social worker.
Kettering Science Academy is part of a jointly run operation between Northamptonshire County Council, Northamptonshire Police and our school. The national name for this process is Operation Encompass. Encompass has been set-up to help schools to provide support to children who may have been affected by incidents of domestic abuse.
If you have any concerns or questions then please contact one of the above Designated Leads. Further information about the project can be found in the letter by clicking here and at https://www.operationencompass.org/.