Book Buddies Group
A new book group at the Secondary Phase is bringing students together to discuss about books they are reading and to introduce them to different genres.
A new book group at the Secondary Phase is bringing students together to discuss about the books they are reading and to introduce them to different genres.
The Book Buddies club had a meeting on Wednesday 17th January in CAPs and students from Years 7-9 met in the library to discuss the various books they had been individually reading and to recommend a variety of books to their fellow students.
Librarian at the Secondary Phase, Miss Jenny Brackwell said: “The students had a good meeting and shared their thoughts on a variety of books made available to them in the Academy’s library. One of the main aims of the group is get students to share their views on books they have read and to also to encourage them to expand on their reading experience. Some students do tend to choose similar books to read and do not often vary their reading choices, but we hope this club will give them a chance to hear about other books to consider to help broaden their reading selections.”
The main aims of Book Buddies are to:
- -Encourage students to read more and to explore titles they may not otherwise try
- -Connect passionate readers from different forms and year groups
- -Allow students the chance to swap peer recommendations
- -Give students with the opportunity to practice public speaking and respectful discussion
- -Provide book lovers a place to feel safe, valued and knowledgeable
- -Share ideas about books
- -To make reading fun
The group has been attracting new members and students are invited to attend the next meeting that will take place on Wednesday, 27th January during CAPs.