A high-quality business education equips pupils to fully appreciate the need for businesses in society. Business has deep links with mathematics, science, and design and technology, and the course explains how Britain’s GDP is dependent on successful businesses. The core concepts that this course looks at are:
- The different types of businesses in the UK, Europe and the World
- The different types of ownership models
- The aims and objectives that businesses set themselves
- The need for marketing and the different methods that are used today
- The use of data to inform business decisions.
The aim of the business curriculum is to develop students’ understanding of how the local / national / global economy works through analysing economic issues, problems and institutions that affect everyday life.
The key areas students need to appreciate are:
- Business activity – why do businesses exist, types of business, stakeholders
- Marketing – marketing mix, market research, segmentation
- People – employment law, training, motivation, recruitment, organisational structure
- Operations – production processes, quality, sales and customer services, consumer law, location and suppliers
- Finance – sources of finance, break-even, cash-flow, revenue, costs and profit.
In addition, we seek to promote entrepreneurship through co-curricular activities, as well as ensuring that there are vocational business options for students.
Lesson materials are engaging to promote topical discussion and encourage students to develop an enquiring mind. As a knowledge based curriculum we believe that knowledge underpins and enables the application of skills; both are entwined. Content is delivered to students and then built upon through a variety of practice questions, with regular quality feedback being given to support student progress. Techniques to help develop long-term memory and help students master subject content are embedded in the curriculum. These include the use of knowledge organisers and the use of modelled questions and answers.
Our ambition for all business students are that:
- Students are able to study business related courses at university
- Students are able to access business related apprenticeships
- Students have the confidence and knowledge to start up their own business
For more detailed information of the core content covered in this subject for each year group, please access the Knowledge Organisers here: